Sunday, January 29, 2006

Photo Management (Generally and for public display)

I thought I would write a post on how I manage my photos and put them up for public display.

First of all I use iView Media Pro for media management. I haven't yet ventured into movies so it is currently only managing my photos, however it would be a fantastic tool to manage movies aswell and I look forward to making this step.

I use a Mac though iView is available on Windows aswell.

iView handles applying meta-data, and in particular:

  • Events
  • People
  • Keywords


You can also create Categories and assign these to any photos (or rather, assign photos to belong to Categories). A photo can only be part of one 'Event' but can belong to any number of Categories.

I use a tool called Picture Sync to upload the photos to my Flickr account (though it can be used to upload to a number of photo management sites). This tool will also reduce the size of the image and upload the meta-data aswell. This last bit is why I use the tool - so I can manage the meta-data at home but have these appear on the photos in Flickr.

Then in Flickr I move the photos into the appropriate Set. Flickr's own upload tool for the Mac, imaginitively named "Flickr Uploadr" can also manage to move the photos into a defined Set in Flickr. Maybe PictureSync will be given this feature one day (soon?).

I match 'Events' in iView to Sets in Flickr. Due to iView's many-to-many relationship between Categories and media files, I will never upload Categories to become Sets in Flickr. Buy by definition, an iView Category is the same as a Flickr Set, since a photo can belong to multiple Sets also. Perhaps Flickr is able to manage this - to have only one image and in multiple Sets. YES, I know this is a feature of Flickr, but I mean so that if you upload a new Set with an image with the same name it will just use the original. For this to work then Picturesync will need to be able to upload to Sets. Investigation continues ...

As for putting photos that are in Flickr on the Blog see yesterdays post at Flicr Images.

I will put information up about how I manage the media files in iView in some future post.

No comments: