Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Steve Irwin's Memorial Service

I won't write in great detail about the events of today's service, since others can find information on this, such as:


Instead I'll just present my observations of the day. I attended the service with Jodie G. We received VIP tickets from the Wildlife Warriors as the Environment Committee at work, of which I am the chairman, have been working with the Wildlife Warriors.

I must give a massive congratulations to Queensland Rail. They offerred free transport for those attending the service which saved maybe $10 or more. And they had a number of special return services, one of which we were able to make despite farging around after the service getting a coffee.

I caught the train at 06:07 and it took 2 hrs to get us to Beerwah and then to Australia Zoo after a short bus ride. Jodie was in a separate section of the train and I met her on the platform.

Jodie had a big wreath the Environment Committee had bought. It was made up of natives and plastic snakes and crocodiles, which we left with Wildlife Warriors. We filed into the VIP area. Unfortunately we were behind a post which made it difficult to see everything. I sat next to Shelley who is a member of the QLD Frog Society. I discussed Walk Against Warming with her and she was fully in support of it. I asked her to see our supporters site Climate_Action_Brisbane - I am part of the group that is organising the walk). Jodie sat next to Eyvonne Chapman who is the Pine Rivers Mayor. Jodie and her shared a hanky to mop up all the tears shed over the loss of Steve. Also present were Prime Minister John Howard, Senator Ian Campbell, Tim Fischer (Chair of Tourism Australia), Kim Beazley (Opposition Leader), Governor General of Australia (I think), Peter Beattie (QLD State Premier) and the Irwin family (Steve's father Bob, wife Terri, kids Bindy and Bob).

There were video messages from Russel Crowe, Cameron Diaz, Larry King, Hugh Jackman ... and Kelly Ripa (who is she and what relationship did she have with Steve? She made it sound like she's only met him a couple times. Surely there could have been many more people that would have been better to give messages. I suggest that this was driven by the US television networks. Someone else can follow this up if they like). Wez Mannon - The Directory of Australia Zoo and Steve's best mate. Steve saved him from a croc (when they were filming) and Wez cried at the end - "He saved my life. I'll miss you mate."

Professor Craig Franklin gave a speech to say he's been working with Steve on the conservation of crocks and scientific research into their lives. Steve was certainly a person that was working positively for the Environment.

Bob Irwin Snr gave a talk and it was very moving. All through the day they peppered the show with scenes of Steve in action and most were extremely amusing. Especially the one after handling a croc and it busted one of his ribs. He said how happy he is to achieved his aim and that "My job is complete". What a character and we're all going to miss him so much.

David Wenham read out hte poem THE CROCODILES ARE CRYING. That link looks awfully tenuous and so I will copy the poem:



THE CROCODILES ARE CRYING



Endless visions fill my head - this man - as large as life And instantly my heart mourns for his angels and his wife Because the way I see Steve Irwin - just put everything aside It comes back to his family - it comes back to his pride

His animals inclusive - Crikey - light the place with love! Shine his star with everything he fought to rise above The crazy-man of Khaki from the day he left the pouch Living out his dream and in that classic 'Stevo' crouch

Exploding forth with character and redefining cheek It's one thing to be honoured as a champion unique It's one thing to have microphones and spotlight cameras shoved It's another to be taken in and genuinely loved

But that was where he had it right - I guess he always knew From his fathers' modest reptile park and then Australia Zoo We cringed at times and shook our heads - but true to natures call There was something very Irwin in the make up of us all

Yes the more I care to think of it - the more he had it right If you're going to make a difference - make it big and make it bright! Yes - he was a lunatic! Yes - he went head first! But he made the world feel happy with his energetic burst

A world so large and loyal that it's hard to comprehend I doubt we truly count the warmth until life meets an end To count it now I say a prayer with words of inspiration May the spotlight shine forever on his dream for conservation

…My daughter broke the news to me - my six year old in tears It was like she'd just turned old enough to show her honest fears I tried to make some sense of it but whilst her Dad was trying His little girl explained it best…she said "The crocodiles are crying"

Their best mate's up in heaven now - the crocs up there are smiling! And as sure as flowers, poems and cards and memories are piling As sure as we'll continue with the trademarks of his spiel Of all the tributes worthy - he was rough…but he was real

As sure as 'Crikey!' fills the sky I think we'll miss ya Steve…goodbye

RUPERT McCALL 2006



What ended the show was amazing. First there was the release of Black Cockatoos and Rosellas (you only saw 1/2 a second of this on the video shown by all the networks). Apparantly this is done all the time at Australia Zoo. They flew around the Croc-o-seum, resting on people's heads (just the rosellas) and beams. They were there for 5 mins before being called back by their trainers. Then finally Steve's Ute was "driven away for the last time" by Steve's Croc-trainer or co-hand with the Crocs. That was a very teary moment. Finally there was a minute of unannounced silence before the show ended at five minutes past 10. It ran 5 minutes over time and thus why you didn't see the birds - farg I hate commercial television.

On the way out I ducked back in down near the stage and saw in big writing "1962 - 2006" under the big picture of Steve and it brought a flood of tears to my eyes. I didn't really know the man, why am I so sad at his loss?

The day was so well coordinated, coreographed and organised. I, like everyone else was very impressed. Only 2 things spoilt the day which happened independantly of the service. The coffee, which I lined up 1/2 hr to get and cost me $4.10 was the worst made cappachino I'd ever tasted. The milk was boiled and bruised and not frothy. It tasted ok at the end after it cooled down. The other was that there are no recycling facilities at Australia Zoo, which suprised me given how forceful Steve was on the conservation issue.

There was one more highlight of the day. Kym Beazley, the opposition leader was out chatting to the people. It wasn't that Kym was there, but rather that he was there when John Howard had departed as swiftly as possible in his own private (Commonwealth) Limo.

I'd like to end with a final farewell to Steve Irwin - so long mate and thanks for all the fish (that have been fed to Crocs). There will never be another like you. And well done to Queensland Rail for running a free service to and from Australia Zoo. If only more people would use these services and get out of their cars. At Beerwah Station was a sign showing that the weekly train ticket from Beerwah costs $56, but to drive a car would cost $115 and that is just the fuel costs and not the wear and tear on the vehicle and the carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases cost.

No comments: