Sunday, September 17, 2006

Brisbane Public Transport

Sorry for the break between posts. I've been so flat out cleaning up my mum's place in Sydney (we're putting it up for rent) and with Climate Action Brisbane (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Climate_Action_Brisbane/) amongst other stuff.

I wrote a letter that I discussed doing in travelsmart brisbane despite tunnel blog post, however i haven't sent it. My partner edited for me and I haven't got around to fixing it up. And it's sort of a bit late now, though I'm sure another opportunity will come up.

An opportunity did arise though I didn't send that letter and instead formulated a new one. Actually, the opportunity was with the
Deputy Mayor, Council David Hinchliffe
sending out a survey on Brisbane's Public Transport. What an opportunity! Presented below is my response to the survey (fortunately I could email a response).




From: brooke
Subject: Public Transport for Brisbane
Date: 21 August 2006 23:44:53 GMT+10:00
To: central.ward@ecn.net.au
Cc: Brooke@Tintuna.com

Gidday David,

Thankyou for giving us the opportunity of expressing our views about
Brisbane's Public Transport. It'd be great if you could supply this (or
rather, future surveys) as web forms.

Name: Brooke
Address: New Farm 4005

Q1. Which is the best way for Council to invest your rates to reduce traffic
congestion? Please rate 1-5.


1 - Fast and reliable public transport
2 - Safe bike and pedestrian pathways
3 - Tolled bridges
4 - Tolled Tunnels
5 - Upgraded roads

Q2. Have you ever been left behind at a bus or ferry stop?


Yes, though its very rare down the Southern end of New Farm near where the
buses start from. However I read some reports of this at
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20112994-3102,00.html

Q3. If fuel prices continue to rise will this influence you to catch more
public transport?


Yes, though I never need to drive to work (in the city), however if I did then,
yes the increasing fuel prices would influence me to catch more public
transport.

Q4. Which of the following would encourage you to use public transport more
often?


1 - High frequency services
2 - Electronic ticketing
3 - More express and rocket services
4 - More busways

Q5. Do you suppot Council buying more buses and ferries?


Yes

Q6. Other comments?



The number one thing that needs to change to improve public tranport is the Trans Apex Brisbane roads project - it needs to be canned. Building more roads will only encourage more cars and given the cost of this project, the council will most likely need to reduce Public Transport funding (or not to improve its services). This would create a situation where the public are being forced to drive as they will have no better alternative. I have been following the Council's busway improvements and I congradulate you all on them (though I'm a little sceptical that it will work out as well as envisioned due to the costs of the roads project. It was suggested about the Sydney Tunnel and Roads development that the public transport services were reduced so people would drive and pay the tolls. I'd hate to think this is true and would not like it to happen in my town).

My suggestion is to save the money and put it into creating a wicked public transport system. Create extended train lines, light rail, connections between all modes of transport and encourage a greater community spirit. Simple things would make such a differenence - light rail from the New Farm City Cat terminal (ie. New Farm park which receives thousands of cars each weekend), along Brunswick St that is always chockers with cars, to the Brunswick St stations and onto the Royal Brisbane Hospital / Royal Show Grounds. Do the same Light Rail connections for Suncorp Stadium and Milton Station, down along Park Rd and along to the Regatta Point City Cat stop. The point of these suggestions is to make the improvements visible, make them connect the public transport systems, make use of efficient, visible and interesting light rail and build the structures to encourage people to interact in their daily lives. Build shopping centers, other commercial property and residential developments around public transport hubs - train and light rail stations, and bus interchanges. Ultimately, give the public a choice and more than this, build infrastructure to encourage Public Transport use and a greater community spirit. I'm not a civil engineer or architect and I'm sure some decent ones could come up with some fantastic plans.

All the best in the studies and fingers crossed that we get improved Public Transport. I do apologise for sounding pushy and offside against car-based city designs. Though it is true - too many of the cities around the world are car based and we need to see that change as soon as possible. Hydrogen is a long way away and will not save us.

Cheers,

Brooke



I think there is a business opportunity in the vision of developments around public transport terminuses. If you agree and would like to help me persue this, drop me a line / comment.

No comments: