Saturday, February 11, 2006

StepUp Foundation coaching

In Winter 2005 I started volunteering for StepUp Foundation. The purpose of this group is explained on the website and quoted here:

IMGP6004


Our purpose is...
“If it’s possible for me, it’s possible for you, it’s just a matter of how!”




The purpose of stepUP Foundation is to educate and excite teenagers the world over about the possibilities for their futures in business and in life.




We do that via 2-day flagship events, an online community, school and individual products such as Audio CD's. Ongoing Coaching and mentoring is provided to our Teens by our partner 'Youth Excel'.




By seeing example after example of people who started just where they are now, via our Speakers and Coaches, Teens begin to understand that anything really is possible if they just set their mind to it.





The major event is being held Thursday and Friday 23rd - 24th Feb 2006 at Brisbane City Hall. If you're in town, pop in and you can see what its all about.

Today was the coaching session where they coach the coaches. The structure of the event is that a large number of teenagers participate. They form groups with each group being lead by a "Coach". Up on the stage are motivation speakers and the like. The coaches are there to help their group understand what is being said, and for them to watch over their teens as a guardian. The coaches are individuals sent along by the businesses they belong to. Each event has all new coaches. This is a very good experience for coaches since it gives them the skills to lead a team, and in this case, a team of teenagers. The coaches are exposed to what the teens are - very good information about life and business skills. Today was the first of two days dedicated to coaching the coaches. There is another next Saturday.

I've uploaded the photos from the day to a new Flickr account I created for the Step Up foundation.

I took some notes on the topics discussed.

Decision x Action = Result


If you want to change the Result then either the decision or the action has to change. Or initially, to get a Result, you need a decision and action. I came up with 2.

Understand Mortgage Better


Action =

  1. Book meeting with finance company to discuss.
  2. Analyse statements and known arrangements and collect data to review and questions to ask.
  3. Go see financiers at appointment time and ask the questions. Don't leave until I have all the answers and are fully understanding.


Develop Web Application Idea


Action =

  1. Do Software Engineering plan for idea including creating models and any prototypes. As far as I can do by myself without any help.
  2. Discuss with friends and interested parties. Refine models and prototypes.
  3. Seek developers who can code this up and test
  4. Get it out there and have people use it
  5. Build it up so will raise the interest of significant companies in the Web Apps arena.


What am I committed to?



  1. To do well in my job.
  2. To create my own business and do well in it
  3. To have my personal life under control

    • Finances (understand)
    • Relationships (be in ones I enjoy, are good for me and good for them)

  4. To have my unit / house looking how I want it to.

1 comment:

Wes said...

Good luck. By the way, your photo's didn't come through via the flicker account. You may want to check your linkages.